When it comes to search engine optimization (SEO), one of the most important factors is link building. One type of link that can significantly impact your website’s search engine rankings is a dofollow link. In this article, we’ll define what a dofollow link is, provide examples of where they can be found, and discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using dofollow links.
A dofollow link is a hyperlink that allows search engines to follow it and pass on “link juice” to the linked website. This means that when a search engine crawls a website and encounters a dofollow link, it will consider it as a vote of confidence for the linked website and may improve its search engine rankings.
In contrast, a nofollow link is a hyperlink that includes a rel=”nofollow” attribute in the HTML code. This tells search engines not to follow the link and not to pass on any link juice to the linked website. Nofollow links are often used in blog comments and forum posts to prevent spam and manipulation of search engine rankings.
Dofollow links can be found in various places on the internet, such as:
1. Blog comments: Many blogs allow readers to leave comments on their posts, and some of these comments may include dofollow links to the commenter’s website. However, it’s important to note that some blogs use nofollow links in their comments section to prevent spam.
2. Forum posts: Online forums often allow users to include links in their posts, and some of these links may be dofollow. However, like with blog comments, some forums use nofollow links to prevent spam.
3. Guest blog posts: When writing a guest post for another website, you may be able to include a dofollow link to your own website in the author bio or within the content of the post.
Dofollow links can have a significant impact on search engine rankings, as they pass on link juice to the linked website. However, it’s important to use them responsibly and avoid spamming or manipulating search engine rankings.
Like with any SEO tactic, there are both advantages and disadvantages to using dofollow links.
1. Increased link juice: Dofollow links allow search engines to follow the link and pass on link juice to the linked website, which can improve its search engine rankings.
2. Improved search engine rankings: By building high-quality dofollow links from reputable websites, you can improve your own website’s search engine rankings.
3. Increased traffic: Dofollow links can also drive traffic to your website if users click on the link and visit your website.
1. Potential for spam: Dofollow links can be abused by spammers who try to manipulate search engine rankings by building low-quality links to their websites.
2. Negative impact on search engine rankings: If search engines determine that your website is using spammy or manipulative tactics to build dofollow links, it may result in a penalty and a negative impact on your search engine rankings.
3. Difficulty in building high-quality dofollow links: Building high-quality dofollow links can be challenging, as it requires creating valuable content and building relationships with other websites in your industry.
Dofollow links are an important aspect of SEO that can significantly impact your website’s search engine rankings. By understanding what they are, where they can be found, and the advantages and disadvantages of using them, you can make informed decisions about your link building strategy. Remember to focus on building high-quality dofollow links from reputable websites, and avoid spammy or manipulative tactics that can harm your search engine rankings.
For more than 27 years, we've worked with thousands (not an exaggeration!) of Denver-area and national business leaders to help them achieve their business goals. Are YOU ready to take your website and business to the next level? We're here to inspire you to thrive. Connect with Webolutions, Denver's leading web design and digital marketing agency, for your FREE consultation with a web development expert.I'm Ready
71% of marketers say using strategic keywords was their number one strategy for SEO.